ADS

Propellerads

22 February 2015

My first… with Helen Paul

                                                                                              Helen Paul

When was the first time you ever performed in public as a comedienne?

That was when I was in primary four. We had a match-past and I discovered that the other houses in school had finer costumes, so I went to forcefully take the outfit of the queen of another house. People were laughing at my action. While some parents found it funny, others were angry about my action.

When was the first time you performed in public as a musician?

The first time I performed as a musician was in our church when I was growing up. I was in primary five then and I took the lead for the children’s choir. That was the first stint I had with performing publicly.

What is the first award you ever received professionally?
That was the Nigerian International Songs Festival awards in 1998. I bagged an award as the best Nigerian gospel youth singer.

When was the first time you ever travelled out of the country?
I cannot remember the year but I know that the first country I travelled to was Ghana. I think it was around 1999.

What is the name of the first car you ever used?

It was a Volkswagen Golf car. I still love that car a lot. I bought it around 2004 when I was in the university. I can’t remember the exact amount I bought it but it was very cheap and I paid in instalment about ten times.

What is the name of your first best friend?

Her name is Monique and she is a popular gospel singer. We are still friends and we keep in touch. If I am not her best friend, I don’t think I would choose her as my best friend. We would need to ask her if I am her best friend.

What is the name of your first crush?

The first man I had a crush on and wish was my husband is David Beckham.

When did you experience your first heartbreak?

I have never experienced heartbreaks. I am always the one breaking hearts.

When was the first time you broke a man’s heart?
In fact, I broke the heart of about three boys at a go. They were my friends and my seniors in school. When they were graduating, they said I should make sure I kept in touch with them so that we could end up getting married. I refused and told them that I was not interested in such because I was too young for marriage.

Who was the first person to believe in you?

That is my mother. She was the first person to believe in my talent.

BY ‘NONYE AND ADEMOLA