ADS

Propellerads

15 February 2015

I’m not a womaniser – Harrysong

                                                                                Harrison Okiri aka Harrysong

Delta State-born musician, Harrison Okiri aka Harrysong is currently signed on to Five Star Music. He talks about his career and life

Which of your songs has given you the most fame?

They all did well. I am in love with all of them, but I think it started from

Better Pikin upwards.


At what point did you start making money in your business?

From the first day. There have been no regrets so far.

What is the highest amount you have been paid to perform?

That would be N5million for five minutes.

Some artistes can be described as one-hit…

I have done quite a lot of songs. Music is my life. I cannot do one song and the next year, no one hears about me. People will keep hearing about me over the years. This is my life and what I do. I am a writer and I record every day.

What inspires you?

Music is my life and it is a beautiful thing for me. I grew up to become a man from what my mum taught me. I learnt to focus on my hustle. It is challenging because there are a lot of people doing the same thing. The ability to stand out is by the grace of God.

Would you say you went into music for the money?

I have been doing music before the profit came. It has never been for the money. The profit started coming because I had done it for quite a while and paid my dues. I got to the stage where the money had no choice than to come in.

What was it like as a starter?

I faced challenges of acceptance and there was no money to promote my music. I did not have a platform to stand on.

What are your success tips?

Hard work, being focused and every back up that I have, helped me succeed.

Why do artistes like to wear lots of jewellery?

I do not see it as a trend. I do not wear blings, I wear gold, but not lots of it. I just have one piece on my neck. Gold is expensive and I wear what I can afford. The piercings are just to spice things up and nothing more.

Are you threatened by the new artistes in the music industry?

I am not threatened by them. The music industry is a business for men and not for boys. I am a man in the business and if anyone has talent and is coming into the business, I wish the person all the best. We complement one another and I am not competing with anyone.

Do you play any instruments?

I play the drums, piano and acoustic guitar.

How does it feel being in the spotlight?

It feels beautiful, but it is also a challenge. To whom much is given, much is also expected. The ability to maintain focus is just by God’s grace.

Were there times you let people down?

It is possible to disappoint people especially when people they love you and expect too much from you. You have to reciprocate the love and balance it. I always try to do that. Sometimes I displease myself to please others. This is not a selfish business and you have a lot of fans looking up to you. Sometimes you have to make others happy and they make you happy as well.

What is your genre of music?

My roots are Rhythms and Blues, and Jazz, but what I do right now is called infusion because of the dance, Afro and hip hop styles.

Does R ‘n’ B sell in Nigeria?

Yes, it does when you do it well and with the consciousness of business in mind. Do not do it selfishly.

What are your excesses?

I do not smoke, I do not drink and I do not think I womanise. I am always busy with work, so there is no time.

Are you in a relationship?

When the time comes I will look for the woman, but right now, I am busy with work. You do not have to tell a woman how beautiful she is or that you love her if you will not have time for her. I do not want to bite off more than I can chew.

What do you look out for in a woman?

She must be godly and homely. I do not look out for too many physical features.

What is your opinion about travelling abroad to shoot videos?

It depends on the concept of the song. If the location will bring it out, then it is fine.

But shooting locally could contribute to the economy…

I believe we have money here already and things are going on well. Foreigners also come here to work and spend their money. It is a normal thing. Our country is big and blessed.

How do you see artistes being used in political campaigns?

I am a business-oriented person. If I am called to perform at any platform, I will do that and collect my money. I am not a politician, I am a businessman.

In what ways are you giving back to the society?

I have people who I pay their fees, but I do not have to make noise about that. Those are the things we do and God blesses us.

Did you start in the church like some other artistes?

Yes, I did. I was a music director for 10 years.

How did they take the shift to secular music?

There were no challenges. Music is music; it is all about the message.

Was the church angry?

I do not know and I do not care. Music is music. When you do music, you get to a point where you want to make profit. This is my life and it is the business. That is the focus.

What changes do you desire in the industry?

There should be more love, acceptance and no discrimination. We should understand we are one skin, one colour and there’s one God.

Do you see KCee as competition?

No, I do not. He is a different brand. Our messages are different. I talk about love and peace and he is more of a dancer. I am not a dancer; I am a performer.

What would you tell up-and-coming artistes?

If they believe they have the talent, they should create the time for the business and respect the ones that are there already. They are not coming in to build any foundation, but to work on foundations that have already been laid. That is why we respect people like Tuface Idibia. Anyone coming under us should do that and also improve on what they have. It is not an easy business.

People think male artistes are flamboyant and womanisers…

They are always wrong. We are human beings with feelings and emotions. When we are in this kind of business, we are in the public’s eye and it is normal for people to think different things about us. We have our private life different from what people see.

What kind of person are you?

I am a cool person who loves music. I like my quiet time and it gives me a picture of who I am, where I come from and where I am going to.

What is a typical day for you like?

It is always busy for me. There is nowhere else better than my house. That is where I hang. Most times I am always with my team. When I am not working, I relax with my brothers .

Has music taken you away from childhood friends?

No, it has not, we communicate on the phone most time. We have not lost contact.

What are your style preferences?

My style is being cool and comfortable. The new trend is the Caribbean look, which I used in my recent video. I liked it and it has been nice on me.

 BY PETER OKEUGO