ADS

Propellerads

15 February 2015

Flavour is my favourite artiste –Beverly Ukegbu


Beverly Ukegbu

Background

My name is Beverly Ukegbu. I am from Imo State and a final year student of the University of Houston-Downtown. My act was known as Beverly Heels but I did away with Heels   because I have evolved. I’m not the same person I was four years ago. A lot has happened and a lot has changed about me. I am studying broadcast journalism with a minor in theatre. I have lived in America all of my life but I visit Nigeria often.


Music

I didn’t choose to be a musician, music chose me. I’m more of a hip hop and pop artiste, but I would love to try every genre.

Influences

My earliest influences in music are Anita Ward, Whitney Houston, En Vogue, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, and Spice Girls to mention but a few. For a long time, I longed to be like Whitney Houston. My mum played her music videos and all I wanted to do, was emulate her.

Family support

My parents and siblings are supportive of my career. They urge me to be the best and want me to live my dreams. They want me to be who I want to be irrespective of what other people think or say.

Single

My new single is titled ‘Bulletproof’. It’s a song people can relate with. The message in the song is for everyone who has nearly been or has been knocked down by situations. The song preaches empowerment. Since its release, we have received positive feedback. I plan to release an album before the end of the year and will like to work with Flavour, Phyno, M.I, Wizkid, Chris Brown and Beyonce.

Record company

I am not signed to any record company. At this time, I’m an independent artiste but I have been approached by a few record labels.

Female artistes

I don’t think female artistes are given the same opportunity as their male counterparts. We have to work twice as hard to be recognised, respected and even get gigs.

Competition

I don’t see competition as something that should be feared. My talent is unique to me and so is yours. I just want to stay in my lane and make great music that will keep my fans entertained. I’m doing music because God put this passion in my heart since I was a little l girl. I am not singing because I want riches or fame. I tried to fight it but now, I am feeding this passion.

Challenges

The challenges I face as an up-and-coming artiste are not different from what other artistes face. With hard work, consistency and humility, I have been able to overcome most of these challenges.

Favourite Nigerian artistes

My favourite Nigerian artiste is Flavour. He has inspired me in numerous ways and is one of the most talented men I know. I learnt a lot about the industry from him.

Other interests

I love to dance; I believe I was born to dance. I wasn’t fortunate to learn ballet but I have a natural flair for dancing. As a child, I participated in and won dancing competitions organised at parties I attended.

Relaxation

I go to the spa to get pampered. It makes me feel good. I also work out and make sure I eat right. It’s hard for me to maintain a healthy diet because I love sweets. I’m quite addicted to them.

Style

Style is wearing whatever makes you feel sexy. My fashion is unique and I wear clothes that are representative of my personality. Whatever I put on, must also look good on me irrespective of the occasion. My style is never boring.

Beauty

I wash my hair as often as I deem fit. I ensure my nails and feet are clean and I have a manicure and pedicure done weekly. I also have my facials done frequently.

Aspirations

I plan to have a talk show and build schools for children who are talented in the arts. This is because there are a lot of children who have these skills but do not have places where these talents can be harvested.

 BY KEMI LANRE-AREMU