ADS

Propellerads

9 December 2013

Nelson Mandela: in his own

The most memorable quotations from former South African president and anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela, who has died aged 95


On facing the death penalty, Nelson Mandela spoke from the dock at the culmination of the Rivonia Trial in April 1964

 During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realised. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die. 
 I greet you all in the name of peace, democracy and freedom for all. I stand here before you not as a prophet but as a humble servant of you, the people. Your tireless and heroic sacrifices have made it possible for me to be here today. I therefore place the remaining years of my life in your hands.